Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery
Dr. Alexander Slocum joined Atlantic Plastic Surgery after having completed the Integrated Plastic Surgery Residency Program at the Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) in Milwaukee. As a New Hampshire native, he has been very happy starting his practice in Portsmouth and becoming a part of the Seacoast community.
Dr. Slocum and his family
Dr. Slocum earned a Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), where he created several new medical devices before moving to West Virginia to attend medical school at Marshall University (with his wife, who is also a physician). After earning his Medical Doctorate (MD), he returned to Boston to begin his surgical training at Harvard Medical School, completing an internship in General Surgery at Brigham and Women’s Hospital. Dr. Slocum was then offered a position in the Integrated Plastic Surgery Residency at MCW. While in training, Dr. Slocum completed over 1,700 distinct cases; during his time in Milwaukee he says, “The faculty at MCW hold the residents to a very high standard”. In his final year, he served as Chief Resident and regularly saw patients in the Chief Resident’s Aesthetic Clinic. Dr. Slocum’s surgical expertise is the result of rigorous training covering the depth and breadth of Plastic Surgery, including Aesthetics, Breast Reconstruction, Facial Trauma, Hand Surgery, and reconstruction of various soft tissue defects.
Dr. Slocum performing surgery at Atlantic Plastic Surgery Center
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (Integrated) – Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI
- Internship (General Surgery) – Brigham and Women’s Hospital/Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
- MD – Marshall University
- Ph.D. – MIT (Mechanical Engineering)
- BS, MS – MIT (Mechanical Engineering)
- CIMIT/MIT Medical Engineering Fellow – Full support for Ph.D. research from the Center for Integration of Medicine & Innovative Technology, Boston, MA
- Marshall University School of Medicine
- 6 Academic Commendations
- Multiple Community Service Awards
- Two-time Carl G. Sontheimer Prize winner for undergraduate research
- DeFlorez Design Award
- Departmental Service Award
- Top Presenter at the 2009 ASME Medical Devices Conference in
- Eagle Scout (Daniel Webster Council, NH)
Patents & Regulatory
- Device for Enabling Placement of Intra-Osseous Infusion Tools in the Upper Extremity, U.S. Patent Pending.
- Orthopaedic Joints Providing Enhanced Lubricity, U.S. Patent #9,585,757.
- Pressure Measuring Syringe, US Patent #8,707,789.
- Rolling diaphragm pressure sensor, US Patent #8,397,577.
- Tapered Spiral Bellows Pressure Sensor, US Patent #8,881,594.
- Method and Apparatus for Characterizing the Temporal Resolution of an Imaging Device, U.S. Patent #7,863,897.
- AH Slocum Jr., D. Goodman, M. Eilenberg, J. Titarelli, L. Meyer,
“Rolling-Contact Knee Prosthesis”. Patent Pending.
- Emergency Use Authorization (Spiro Wave) – April 2020.
- 513(g) Registered (Tib-Finder) – 2017.
- 510(k) Clearance (Pressure Sensing Syringe) – 2011.
Grand Rounds & Lectures
- Breast Augmentation: Technology and Clinical Practice, MCW Plastic Surgery Grand Rounds, 4/2021
- Management of Ballistic Injuries to the Face, Inter-departmental Grand Rounds, 5/2020
- Chest Wall Reconstruction, MCW Plastic Surgery Grand Grounds, 2/2020
- Congenital Anomalies: Clefts and Craniofacial Conditions, MCW Plastic Surgery Grand Rounds, 11/2018
- Medical Device Innovation – ‘So You Have an Idea…’, MCW/CHW Device Innovation Group, 9/2018
- Small Bone Fractures of the Upper Extremity, MCW Plastic Surgery Grand Rounds, 9/2018
- Upper Extremity Vascular Disorders & Compartment Syndrome, MCW Plastic Surgery Grand Rounds, 5/2018
- Ultrasonic Wound Debridement, MCW Plastic Surgery Research Conference, 3/2018
- Scalp and Forehead Reconstruction, MCW Plastic Surgery Grand Rounds, 1/2018
- Evaluation of Successful Placement of an Intraosseous Catheter using an External Placement Guide, BWH Trauma Surgery Research Conference, 5/2016
Peer-Reviewed Journal Publications
- Kwon AH, Slocum Jr AH, Varelmann D, Nabdzyk CSG, “Rapidly scalable mechanical ventilator for the COVID-19 pandemic”. Intensive Care Med (2020) 46:1642-1644.
- Slocum Jr AH, Reinitz SD, Jariwala SH, Van Citters DW, “Design, Development, and Validation of an intraosseous needle placement guide”. ASME J Med Dev Oct 2017; 11(4):041009.
- Slocum Jr AH, Cervantes TM, Seldin EB, Varanasi KK, “Analysis and Design of Rolling-Contact Joints for Evaluating Bone Plate Performance”. Med Eng &Physics, September 2012;3(7):1009-18.
- Slocum Jr AH, Duffley SC, Moreu J, Watral A, Spiegel JE, Slocum AH, “Design, Manufacture, and Testing of the EasyCuff™ Pressure Measuring Syringe”. ASME J Med Devices, Sept 2012;6(3): 031008-1-7.
- Slocum Jr., AH, Slocum AH, Spiegel JE, “Design and In Vitro Testing of a Pressure-Sensing Syringe for Endotracheal Tube Cuffs” Anesth Analg May 2012 114(5):967-971.
- Cervantes TM, Slocum Jr AH, Seldin EB, “Design and Experimental Evaluation of Adjustable Bone Plates for Mandibular Fracture Fixation”. Journal of Biomechanics, January 2012, Vol 45:1, pp. 172-178.
- Slocum Jr AH, Culpepper ML, “Design of a Low-Cost, Precision Belt-Drive Machine for High-Throughput Nanomanufacturing”. Precision Engineering, January 2012, Vol. 36:1, pp. 55-69.
- Ma R, Slocum, Jr., AH, Sung E, Culpepper ML, Bean JF, “Torque Measurement with Compliant Mechanisms”. ASME J Mech Des Mar 2013, 135(3):034502.
- Slocum, Jr., AH, Saha SK, Culpepper ML, “Metric Mapping: A New Method to Aid in the Design of Nanomanufacturing Systems”. Int Jour Nanomanufacturing 2011;7(2):143-157.
- Sung E, Slocum, Jr, AH, Ma R, Bean JF, Culpepper ML, “Design of an Ankle Rehabilitation Device Using
Compliant Mechanisms”. ASME J Med Dev March 2011;5(1):1-7.
- Slocum, Jr AH, Bosworth WR, Mazumdar A, Saez MA, Culpepper ML, Levine RA, “Design of a Catheter-Based Device for Performing Percutaneous Chordal-Cutting Procedures”. ASME J Med Dev2009;3(2):1-8.
- Slocum, Jr., AH, Jones, SE, Gupta, R, “Design of a Calibration Phantom for Measuring the Temporal Resolution of a Tomographic Imaging Device”. ASME J Med Dev Sept 2007;1(3):225-232.
- Slocum Jr AH, Moore AV, Gray LN, “Inframammary fold vs. Periareolar incisions for augmentation mammoplasty”, virtual presentation during the Senior Residents Conference at the American Society of Plastic Surgeons Annual Meeting, October 2021 (Virtual, pre-recorded).
- Linehan AR, Slocum Jr, AH, Hettinger PC, “Surgical Treatment of Peripheral Nerve Sheath Tumors: A 10 year Review”, Midwestern Association of Plastic Surgeons, Lake Geneva, WI, May 3-5, 2019.
- Barcikowski, J., Opalenik, C. S., Williams, C., Slocum, Jr., A. H., Ma, R., Bean, J. F., “Reliability and Validity of a New Device Measuring Ankle Strength and Power”. Presented at the Annual Meeting of the Association of Academic Physiatrists, Las Vegas, NV, February 28 – March 3, 2012.
- AH Slocum, Jr., A. T. Paxson, A.-T. Akono, E. Blough, K. K. Varanasi, “Nano-Structured Contoured Porous Coatings for Orthopaedic Implants”. Presented at the Fall 2011 meeting of the Material Research Society in Boston, MA, December 2nd , 2011.
- A. H. Slocum, Jr., S. C. Duffley, J. Moreu, A. Watral, J. E. Spiegel, A. H. Slocum, “Design of a Pressure Measuring Syringe”, Presented at the Design of Medical Devices Conference in Minneapolis, MN, April 13-15 2010.
- Slocum, Jr., A. H. and Culpepper, M. L., “Design of a Precision Transfer Line for Dip-Pen Nanolithography”. 24th annual meeting of the American Society of Precision Engineers, October 4-9, 2009, Monterey, CA.
- A. H. Slocum, Jr., W. R. Bosworth, A. Mazumdar, M. A. Saez, M. L. Culpepper, R. A. Levine, “Design of a Catheter-Based Device for Performing Percutaneous Chordal-Cutting Procedures”. ASME Design of Medical Devices Conference, April 13-16, 2009, Minneapolis, MN.
- A. H. Slocum, Jr., S. E. Jones, R. Gupta, “Temporal Modulation Transfer Function: A New Method for Characterizing Temporal Resolution of a CT Scanner”. 93 rd Annual Meeting of the Radiological Society of North America, 11/27/07.
Peer-Reviewed Conference Publications
- Linehan AR, Slocum AH, Lineberry KD, Schurman A, Hackbarth D, King D, Neilson JC, Logiudice JA, Matloub HS, Hettinger PC, “Surgical Treatment of Peripheral Nerve Sheath Tumors: a 10 Year Review”, Accepted to the American Association of Hand Surgery Annual Meeting, January 8-11, 2020, Ft. Lauderdale, FL.
- Carpenter NJ, Whitlock RH, Slocum Jr AH, Lineberry KD, Hoben GH, “Leech Therapy for Digital Replants and Revascularizations: Anticipating Transfusion needs”; Presented at the 74 th Annual Meeting of the American Society for Surgery of the Hand, Las Vegas, NV, September 5-7, 2019.
- Slocum, Jr., A. H., El Khoury, J., Goodman, D. H., Varanasi, K. K., “Enhancing Orthopaedic Joint Lubrication Using Synovial Fluid Impregnated Super-Wetting Porous Coatings”. Poster Presentation at the 2014 Annual Meeting of the Orthopaedic Research Society, New Orleans, LA, March 15-18, 2014.
- Cervantes, T. M., Slocum, Jr., A. H., Gupta, R., Seldin, E. B., “In Vitro Tests Utilizing an Adjustable Bone Plate”. Presented at the 2013 Annual Meeting of the American Society for Biomechanics, Omaha, NE, Sept 4-7, 2013.
- Slocum, Jr., A. H., Herder, J. L.,, Varanasi, K. K., “Biomechanical Design of Rolling Contact Knee Joint Prostheses”. Presented at 2012 Annual Meeting of the American Society for Biomechanics, Gainesville, FL, August 15-18, 2012.
- Cervantes, T. M., Slocum, Jr., A. H., Seldin, E. B., “Deterministic Adjustable Bone Plate Design”. Presented at the 2012 ASME Design of Medical Devices Conference, Minneapolis, MN, April 10-12, 2012.
- A. H. Slocum, Jr., A. D. Jagannath, T. Waagen, A. K. Agnihotri, R. A. Levine, “A Pulsatile-Flow Model for Intra- Cardiac Surgical Device Development”. Presented at the 10th ASME Design of Medical Devices Conference in Minneapolis, MN, April 12th-14th, 2011.
- Joan Spiegel, M.D., Alex Slocum, Jr., B.S., Alex Slocum, Sr., PhD. “Measuring Endotracheal-Tube Cuff Pressure: An Integrated, In-Line Pressure-Measuring Syringe”. Proceedings of the 105th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Anesthesiologists, San Diego, California October 16-20, 2010.
- S. K. Saha, C.M. DiBiasio, A. H. Slocum, Jr., A. Watral, and M.L. Culpepper, “Precision equipment and tools that enable practical probe-based nanomanufacturing”, 10th International Conference of the European Society for Precision Engineering and Nanotechnology. Delft, Netherlands, June 2010.
- R. Ma, A. H. Slocum, Jr., E. Sung, M. L. Culpepper, J. F. Bean, “Ankle-Rehabilitation via Compliant Mechanisms”, Presented at the Design of Medical Devices Conference in Minneapolis, MN, April 13-15 2010.
- A. H. Slocum, Jr., S. E. Jones, R. Gupta, “Design of a Calibration Phantom for Measuring the Temporal Resolution of a Tomographic Imaging Device”. Presented at Scientific Poster Session of the Design of Medical Devices Conference, April 15-17, 2008, Minneapolis, MN.
- J. K. White, A. H. Slocum Jr., A. K. Agnihotri, D. F. Torchiana, “Direct Cardiac Compression Using Helical Bands” (video and manuscript). The Proceedings of the International Society for Minimally Invasive Cardiothoracic Surgery, 10th Anniversary Meeting, Rome, Italy, June 6-9, 2007.
Current Society Memberships
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons, Candidate for Membership
- New Hampshire Medical Society, Active Member
- New England Society of Plastic Surgeons, Pending